Simple and healthy, Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros are fall apart tender chicken thighs seasoned with onions, spices, and broth for a quick crockpot protein that is low carb, low fat, and highly delicious!
Man, oh man, is this a good one. Not only are these crockpot chicken gyros easy to make (it's pretty much dump and go), but they are absolutely mouthwatering.
This meal is one that is in our main recipe rotation, like pepperoncini pork roast.
The slow cooker does all the work, leaving you will chicken thighs that are so juicy and tender that they literally fall apart. This makes them the perfect protein for gyros, salads, over rice, quinoa, etc.
If you have been around Season and Thyme for any length in time, you will notice just how much we love greek food it our house! We love to go all out for "greek night" with homemade naan, homemade tzatziki sauce, hummus, fresh cut veggies, olives, pickles- the works!
This crock pot chicken gyros recipe is a super simple greek meat that doesn't take much preparation at all!
Ingredients for slow cooker chicken gyros
- boneless skinless chicken thighs. Boneless skinless chicken breasts can also be used, but I love chicken thighs because they are more flavorful, stay juicy, and are often cheaper.
- dried dill
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- garlic and onions. Minced garlic and yellow onion or red onion sliced very thinly will cook down and flavor the meat.
- olive oil. To add moisture and flavor.
- lemon. Lemon juice helps tenderize the meat and add brightness.
How to make chicken gyros in the slow cooker
Place chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
Top with sliced onions.
In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
Pour mixture over top of chicken and onions.
Cook chicken thighs for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low, the chicken will be fall apart tender.
The dried seasonings can be swapped out to fit your tastes and preferences. Seasoning blends (like greek seasoning) work great as well and will most likely have basil, oregano, and dill present.
Toppings for chicken gyros
- kalamata olives
- lemon wedges
- feta cheese
- red onion
- chopped fresh herbs
- red wine vinegar
- tzatziki sauce (or plain greek yogurt)
How to serve slow cooker greek chicken gyros
Aside from delicious toppings, here are some ways to serve this chicken as a meal.
- In a salad, like this gyros salad
- on warm pita bread
- with butter rice
- on a greek flatbread
- with Greek Cucumber Salad
- on a Greek Wedge Salad
more slow cooker chicken thigh recipes
- slow cooker bbq chicken thighs
- slow cooker gumbo with chicken and sausage
- slow cooker chicken chasseur
- creamy tuscan chicken thighs
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 ½ tsp. dried dill
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp. dried basil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Place chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
- Top with sliced onions.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, dried herbs, salt, pepper and minced garlic.
- Pour mixture over top of chicken..
- Cook chicken thighs for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low, the chicken will be fall apart tender.
Leave a Reply