Zesty, filling, and full of flavor, this Greek Gyros Salad is the perfect way to enjoy all of the flavors of a traditional gyro, in a tasty salad form! Completely customizable to your own preferences, this mediterranean dish is fresh and perfect for an easy summer lunch.
There are few foods I like more than Greek food. Traditional dishes like stuffed grape leaves and kotosoupa avgolemono (a lemony greek soup!)have a special place in my heart. But my favorite? A gyro. And not just any gyro, but a rotisserie chicken gyro on a piece of warm pita bread piled high with cucumbers, pickles, red onion, tomatoes, garlicky tzatziki dressing, and kalamata olives.
My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
This salad is just one more way to enjoy the flavors of a gyro, but in a low carb way.
When people think of gyros they generally think of the shaved lamb and beef meat that comes off in tender strips. That is delicious as well, and you could totally switch out the chicken for a different type of gyro meat if you would like. I know Costco sells a pack of Daphne's Brand Lamb and Beef Gyro Meat slices that you just have to heat and serve. That would work great here!
I like using rotisserie chicken because it's often in my fridge, it's already seasoned, and it's a good source of protein.
Ingredients in a gyros salad
- romaine lettuce
- cooked chicken breast (I used rotisserie chicken!)
- cherry tomatoes
- red onion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- hummus (here is homemade hummus with white beans, if you're interested!)
For the tangy greek yogurt dressing:
- whole milk greek yogurt
- fresh dill
- red wine vinegar
How to Assemble
Wash and slice romaine lettuce into thin strips to create bite sized pieces.
Place lettuce in a bowl as a base and add on remaining ingredients, including chicken, cherry tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, and feta cheese.
In a small bowl add yogurt, chopped fresh dill, vinegar, and salt. Stir to combine.
Drizzle dressing over top of the gyro salad. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
Double or triple the recipe for dinners and lunches throughout the week. The prep time is not much longer and you will be able to enjoy multiple servings of this tasty gyros salad recipe.
Variations and Substitutions
- Tzatziki sauce. Use this recipe for homemade garlicky tzatziki sauce for a similar dressing to the one included here, but with added cucumber and garlic. Trader Joe's also has a delicious premade option!
- Red wine vinegar or lemon juice. If you want to skip the greek yogurt dressing, you can dress this salad with a squeeze of lemon juice, a splash of red wine vinegar and olive oil, or a greek vinaigrette. This marinade would work well as a a dressing.
- Ground chicken, pork, lamb, turkey or beef. Use ground meat instead of rotisserie chicken. Ground meat is easy to saute in a pan and season to your liking. Plus, it's great for making in bulk! I have also used this pepperoncini pork roast shredded and tossed on salads.
- Wrap it in a pita. Pile all of the salad ingredients in a warm pita for an even more filling meal. Greek filled pitas is a meal that is in our monthly rotation. When I do this, I am extra generous with the yogurt sauce, and add sliced pickles for even more tang.
Can this greek salad be meal prepped?
You bet it can! Salads like this are awesome for meal prepping because you can make a lot at one time AND it's delicious so you actually look forward to eating it throughout the week.
Be sure to keep your dressing separate and add it right before serving to keep your salad ingredients crisp.
Simple Greek Gyros Salad with chicken and all your favorite gyro toppings. Drizzle on zesty greek yogurt and dill dressing to complete the meal.
- 3 cups romaine lettuce
- ½ cup cooked chicken breast (I used rotisserie chicken!)
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp. kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp. feta cheese
- ¼ cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp, red wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- Wash and slice romaine lettuce into thin strips to create bite sized pieces.
- Place lettuce in a a bowl as a base and add on remaining ingredients, including chicken, cherry tomatoes, red onion, kalamata olives, and feta cheese.
- In a small bowl add yogurt, chopped fresh dill, vinegar, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Drizzle dressing over top of the gyro salad. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 945mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 33g