With the ushering in of fall comes lots of fall flavors like apple and pumpkin. These Apple Spice Muffins are the perfect way to enjoy all those fresh and in season apples!
Going apple picking is one of my favorite fall activities-- my family goes every year. And although I can eat a few apples a day, and they do keep for a long time on the counter, it is nice to have a recipe to use up the fruit in a different way.
These work perfectly! I added 3 cut up apples to this recipe, which not only adds a delicious apple flavor, but a sweetness as well.
I hate to categorize any recipe as "skinny," because I don't like the connotation that gives. Food to me shouldn't me "naughty" or wrong. Everything in moderation! That being said, I choose for health reasons to add less sugar to dessert recipes when possible. Although sugar and fat make things taste delicious, I want to be mindful of how I am nourishing my body.
Additionally, I would never want to mask the flavor of perfectly in season apples! So here I add only a cup of sugar (most recipes call for 2), and a half a cup of oil (supplemented with a half a cup of applesauce).
These work great as a snack or for breakfast!
Apple Spice Muffins
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 3 cups apples peeled and chopped
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat over to 350° F
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix and set aside
- In a second bowl, add wet ingredients except for the apples
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet until just combined
- Peel and chop apples into small pieces. Make sure they are small, otherwise they won't cook through during the short bake time
- Add apples to muffin batter and gently combine
- Grease or line a muffin pan and fill each tin ¾ of the way full
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Once they are finished cooking, place muffins on a rack to cool
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired