There is something about chicken noodle soup that just warms the body and soul right up! Especially with this blustery fall weather officially in full swing, soups like this are exactly what I enjoy making for dinner.
Chicken Noodle Soup is perhaps the most classic soup around, and for good reason. It is broth based, easy to digest, and makes you want to keep refilling your bowl again and again! It is also not that difficult to make and freezes well.
Here I made it using what I call my “cheater bone broth.” I call it that because full bone broth normally takes hours to cook down and extra chopped veggies for flavor. This recipe just has you cook one bone-in chicken breast in chicken stock. By cooking it in stock instead of water, your flavor is already halfway there! But by doing the extra step of bone-in chicken you add more flavor and nutrients! You will notice that the liquid will congeal when refrigerated. This is not fat! It is from the gelatin in the chicken bones. Once it is reheated it goes right back to liquid.
Some of the star players I used are celery, Reames Noodles (just like my momma used to use!), and fresh parsley. Josie’s celery makes up part of the mirepoix (your five-dollar word for the day) which is a ratio of diced onions, celery, and carrots that is the base for countless recipes! Everything from chicken noodle soup to a beef roast often starts with a mirepoix!
Reames Noodles are my favorite and I really miss them if I use regular pasta here. They are something special!
If you would like a recipe for full bone broth, you can find it here.
Classic Chicken Noodle Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 lbs bone in, skin on chicken breast with rib meat
- 2 stalks celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Start by placing your chicken breast (with the skin and bones still on) and salt in a pot with your chicken stock.
- Bring the pot to a boil, and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cook this 15-20 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot to cool.
- Place the rest of your ingredients in the pot except for the noodles, and continue to simmer the stock.
- While the ingredients are mixing in the pot, pull the chicken meat apart and throw out the bones and skin.
- Once the vegetables and spices have been simmering for 5-10 minutes, add back the chicken meat and noodles to the pot.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes before turning off the heat to cool and serve.