This instant pot version of red beans and rice is simple to prepare but bold in flavor. It’s full of protein from andouille sausage, chicken thighs, and red beans, and lots of good for you ingredients like veggies and spices!
I decided to create this recipe after having a craving for something similar for over a week! I had just come home from the hospital after the birth of my son, so I wasn’t doing much cooking. However, as soon as I was able, I carried my little one into the kitchen and with the help of Michael, got to work! It was a fun first foray back into cooking!
I’m not sure how perfectly traditional this is. But I do know all the right flavors are there! We have andouille sausage, smoked paprika, red beans, and even a little file powder.
I added chicken thighs to this for two reasons. First, because I LOVE how chicken thighs come out in the Instant Pot. They are fall apart tender and take on the flavor of whatever they are cooked in. And two, because I was craving protein and three protein sources for one meal seemed like a good number.
When making this, your instant pot may show the “burn” notice when cooking. This often happens to me when I am using tomato sauces in the Instant Pot. Don’t get scared if this happens!
You have two options:
- Turn it off and carefully do a quick release. Stir the contents and make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom. Place the lid back on and restart with whatever time was remaining.
- Don’t stir in the tomato sauce when you add it to the recipe. Add it at the very end and let in sit in the center. If it’s not touching the edges of the pot itself, you should hopefully be able to avoid the burn notice.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 jalapenos, minced
- 1 10 oz. package andouille sausage (4 sausages)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 15 oz. cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tbs. smoked paprika
- ½ tbs. Cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp. file powder
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- Turn Instant Pot to saute function and add in olive oil. Add garlic, onions, celery, jalapenos, and carrots. Saute for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Slice andouille sausages into bite-sized pieces and add to pot to brown a little, about 5 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off of saute function and add in remaining ingredients and stir.
- Cover with lid and make sure the pot is in the sealing designation.
- Set on high pressure for 20 minutes. It will take some time to come up to pressure and release it's pressure.
- Allow pot to natural release before opening the lid.
- Shred chicken (it will shred very easily), and serve over rice!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 1460mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 13gSugar: 9gProtein: 39g