Bite-sized umami bombs! Who knew so few ingredients, could pack such a punch?
I love leaving these whole. It is something different ascetically, and as a bonus there is less prep work involved. These work as a great side dish to grilled meats. The sweet, tangy balsamic vinegar is a wonderful accompaniment to charcoal/grill flavor.
Something to note: Refrain from salting the mushrooms during the browning step. Because salt pulls out moisture, they will struggle to get brown, and take longer to cook.
Honey Balsamic Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 oz. cremini mushrooms left whole, stems trimmed
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan, heat olive oil and butter on medium high. Add in mushrooms, and let brown for 5 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are browning, in a small bowl, whisk together minced garlic, balsamic vinegar, honey, and salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the top of the mushrooms and let reduce, about 7-8 minutes.