Simple Instant Pot Green Beans will free up space on your stove top and come out perfectly crisp tender and ready to be enjoyed. Seasoned with just salt, pepper, and garlic, this veggie side dish can be paired with just about anything.
Green beans are one of my favorite veggies. They cook quickly and are tasty too! Other green bean recipes I love are crispy garlic sauteed green beans, along with oven roasted green beans and carrots. For another tasty vegetable side dish, try Honey Balsamic Roasted Carrots.
But having an easy way to cook green beans that is hands off is really helpful, especially when they come out this delicious. When you pressure cook green beans, you can just set it and forget it until the timer goes off!
What You'll Need
- fresh green beans (frozen works too!)
- water (or stock)
- minced garlic
How to Make Fresh Green Beans in the Instant Pot
Wash green beans and trim ends if necessary.
Place trivet insert into the Instant Pot pot and place green beans on top.
Carefully pour water over top and then sprinkle on salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
Attach lid and make sure it is in the sealing position.
Set to 0 or 1 minute of cook time. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come up to pressure.
Once the cook time is up, carefully quick release to depressurize and use tongs to remove the cooked green beans from the pot.
Instant Pot Green Beans Cook Time
Green beans cook fast in the Instant Pot, which is why you only need 0 to 1 minute of cook time for this green bean recipe. The green beans cook while the pot is coming up to pressure. If you want them softer you can either allow it to natural release for 5-10 minutes before quick releasing the remaining steam, or set the cook time to 2 or 3 minutes.
Keep these beans as simple as salt and pepper or add any of your favorite seasonings! You can add the seasoning before or after pressure cooking the beans. If you add them after, quick release, add the seasoning and then place the lid back on for 3-4 minutes to heat it through and let it flavor the green beans.
- minced garlic or garlic powder
- thinly sliced onion or shallot
- soy sauce
- lemon zest
- bacon bits
Do you need a steamer basket to make green beans in the Instant Pot?
No, you do not. I am sure that it would work well, so go ahead and use it if you have it. But this extra insert is not necessary to make steamed green beans in your Instant Pot. Simply use the metal trivet that comes with the device and to help lift the green beans out of the water slightly. In all honesty, you can place the fresh green beans right into the bowl insert, but adding the trivet does help steam the green beans more evenly and avoid any soggy ones.
Can You Cook Frozen Green Beans in the Instant Pot?
Yes you can! They are thin enough, that frozen green beans will cook at the same as fresh green beans without a problem.
What to Serve with Green Beans
These green beans are a versatile vegetable side dish that will go with just about anything! Here are some ideas for what to serve your pressure cooker green beans with.
- parmesan crusted chicken romano
- dutch oven venison stew
- easy sous vide pork tenderloin
- old fashioned goulash with ground beef
- giant stuffed meatballs with mozzarella cheese
Instant Pot Green Beans
- ½ lb. fresh green beans frozen works too!
- ½ cup water or stock
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- Wash green beans and trim ends if necessary.
- Place trivet insert into the Instant Pot pot and place green beans on top.
- Carefully pour water over top and then sprinkle on salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Attach lid and make sure it is in the sealing position.
- Set to 0 or 1 minute of cook time. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come up to pressure.
- Once the cook time is up, carefully quick release to depressurize and use tongs to remove the cooked green beans from the pot.
Leave a Reply