Easy cheesy cauliflower rice with jalapeno features riced cauliflower (fresh or frozen) in a spicy, creamy cheddar cheese sauce. This stovetop side dish can be made in less than 20 minutes and is sure to become a family favorite.
Cheesy and spicy, two of my favorite words! This cheesy cauliflower rice is a one-pan side dish, made from simple ingredients and is low carb and gluten free. Riced cauliflower is sauteed with onion until tender and the edges are browned. In goes minced jalapeno for a little kick, and finished with a delicious cream sauce to pull it all together! I love this as a substitute for mac and cheese or a side dish with dinner. Easy cheesy cauliflower rice with jalapeno will warm you up from the inside out!
My inspiration for this recipe was my cauliflower mac and cheese that I shared last year around the holidays. It is creamy, cheesy, and spicy, just like this easy cheesy cauliflower recipe is. That recipe has big chunks of cauliflower and real pasta in it, so it's not actually keto, but it is delish.
This cheesy riced cauliflower variation removes the noodles and uses riced cauliflower instead of florets for a delicious, cheesy cauliflower dish.
Looking for more keto cauliflower recipes? Try this tasty spanish cauliflower rice.
Add cauliflower rice and continue to saute on medium heat until the rice pieces begin to turn a little brown on the edges.
- cauliflower rice This can be bought pre done in the produce section, as frozen riced cauliflower. You can also make your own fresh riced cauliflower with a head of cauliflower and a box grater.
- shredded cheddar cheese or shredded monterey jack cheese
How to Make Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
Turn heat down to medium-low and add in milk and cheese. Stir until the cheese sauce combines and coats the rice.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish: Top with sliced green onions for a little flavor and color. Go all out and add a few dashes of Franks Red Hot, to make this Buffalo Cauliflower Rice.
- Add chicken: I love adding chicken to rice dishes to make them an "all-in-one" meal. Bake or grill a chicken breast and toss that in!
- Make the sauce creamier: This cheese sauce is pretty creamy, as is. However, if you are looking for an even richer sauce, add ¼ a block of cream cheese to the mix!
- Make it mild: Not a fan of spicy food? Simply remove the jalapeno from this recipe. If you would like to keep the color it adds, green bell pepper is a great alternative.
what to serve with cheesy cauliflower rice
I love that this cheesy rice is so versatile, and it could truly go as a side with so many things-- from tacos to BBQ. Try it with ribs for a southern take or with grilled chicken! One of the following recipes would pair well:
How to Store and Reheat Cauliflower Rice
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Reheat in the microwave or on the strovetop until warm.
More cauliflower recipes
Nope! Frozen cauliflower rice is great here and cooks up super fast-- there is no need to thaw before cooking. Simply pour it in the pan as is, and cook as normal.
It depends on what your definition of healthy is! It is low carb and full of veggies. It is also high fat, which is part of a keto diet but may not be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Healthy is entirely subjective but this keto cheesy cauliflower rice recipe uses whole ingredients and has lots of vegetables which is a win in my book.
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 10 oz. cauliflower rice
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese or shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup milk
- ½ jalapeno finely diced
- ½ small onion finely diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add in onions and jalapeno and saute until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice and continue to saute on medium heat until the rice pieces begin to turn a little brown on the edges.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add in milk and cheese. Stir until the cheese sauce combines and coats the rice.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.