Nothing beats a warm bowl of soup on a cold and blustery day! We all have heard of Zuppa Toscana and have our family recipes for chicken noodle soup, so I thought today I would share something a little different. This recipe for Autumn Kale and Mushroom Soup fits the bill! Hearty kale and meaty mushrooms-- this delicious soup is all the warmth you'll need this fall. Just don't forget the red pepper flakes for added heat!
While filling enough to warm you right up, this mushroom kale soup is actually super healthy. There is nothing in it but clean ingredients, it is gluten and dairy free, low carb, and it can easily be made vegan/vegetarian by supplementing vegetable broth in for the chicken stock.
I love making soups like this because you can use the veggies you have on hand. I always have white beans in my cabinet, because they add protein. If you wanted to make this soup even more hearty, try adding in chunks of ham or italian sausage. Aside from the base of mirepoix, the other veggies I used are kale and cremini mushrooms. I know not everybody is a mushroom fan, but I can't get enough of them. They add such a great depth of flavor to any recipe. I even add them to my eggs (but that's a recipe for another day)!
If you are looking for more soup recipes-- I have tons! Try one of the following or search through the category labeled "soup" to see all of them.
I also have another kale and mushroom recipe with this Balsamic Vinegar Sauteed Kale and Mushrooms.
- olive oil
- celery stalks
- cremini mushrooms
- cannellini beans
- chicken stock
- Red pepper flakes
Heat oil over medium heat.
Begin by heating up carrots, onion, and celery in a pot.
After a few minutes, add the garlic.
Add the mushrooms and kale to the pot, and mix until the ingredients cook down, about 5 minutes.
Add beans, stock, and salt to pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add pepper flakes for desired heat and serve.
Ways to add protein to soup
This soup works as a great base to add additional ingredients. I love adding different types of protein to my kale mushroom soup to make it an even more hearty soup!
- Other Beans. Try northern or cannellini beans, red beans, or black eye peas for a non-meat protein option and a satisfying bean soup. If you substitute in vegetable stock for the chicken stock, you can enjoy this as a vegan mushroom and kale soup.
- Chicken. Diced or shredded chicken pieces are always a great way to add protein to soups. I love to keep prepared shredded chicken on hand in the freezer for this very purpose.
- Ground Beef. I love other ground beef complements the heart fall kale and savory mushrooms!
- Italian Sausage. Same as with ground beef but with a little more kick. Try hot or mild italian sausage in this hearty autumn soup.
- Ham. Ham and Bean soup is a CLASSIC, and adding greens to it goes great to the salty ham.
Other variations to try
Here are some other ideas on how to switch up this mushroom soup with some extra ingredients to add in!
Rice. Any rice will do, but a creamy wild rice mushroom kale soup sounds delish! I would add a ½ cup of wild rice and a ½ cup of heavy cream to this soup recipe and keep everything else the same.
Potatoes. A few diced tomatoes would add more heartiness to an already hearty soup! You could even decrease the amount of liquid and make this more of a stew.
Spinach (or any other green). If kale isn't your thing, try more delicate spinach leaves, or any green of your choice like swiss chard, rainbow chard, or bok choy.
Tomatoes. Add a can of diced tomatoes to add a little acidity and sweetness to this soup. Doing so reminds me a bit of this kale and white bean soup!
This soup will last several days in the fridge-- the kale holds up nicely and it can be reheated in the microwave or on the stovetop.
You can also freeze this kale and mushroom soup for several months. I love freezing soups and am always grateful to have them on hand when I don't know what to eat. Thaw in the fridge or in a bit of hot water and then simmer in a pot until heated through.
Hearty kale and meaty mushrooms-- this kale and mushroom soup is all the warmth you'll need this fall-- add red pepper flakes for extra heat!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 8 oz. package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups kale, rough chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, and celery to the pot.
- After a few minutes, add the garlic.
- Add the mushrooms and kale to the pot, and mix until the ingredients cook down, about 5 minutes.
- Add beans, stock, and salt to pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper flakes for desired heat and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 1035mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 16g