I first had this soup at Olive Garden and I loved it immediately! It is the perfect blend of hearty without feeling overly heavy. There are so many good for you ingredients like kale, onions, garlic, and potatoes. I used whole milk, but if you want a richer broth feel free to use half and half or even heavy cream.
We love it spicy, so I used both hot sausage and additional red pepper flakes, but you can adjust that to your liking.
Zuppa Toscana (Spicy Sausage and Kale Soup)
This Olive Garden restaurant classic can be made at home, Zuppa Toscana has spicy italian sausage, potatoes, and a creamy broth.
- 1 lb. hot italian sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. red potatoes sliced thin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups kale chopped
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- In a large soup pot, brown Italian sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon. After sausage is brown (about 8 minutes), add in garlic and onions. Stir and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add sliced potatoes, chicken stock, water, and salt. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir and add in kale and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add in milk, and red pepper flakes. Stir and serve.
Calories: 624kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 28gFat: 41gSaturated Fat: 15gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1968mgPotassium: 1327mgFiber: 4gSugar: 10gVitamin A: 3644IUVitamin C: 47mgCalcium: 217mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply