I first had this soup at Olive Garden and I loved it immediately! It is the perfect blend of hearty without feeling overly heavy. There are so many good for you ingredients like kale, onions, garlic, and potatoes. I used whole milk, but if you want a richer broth feel free to use half and half or even heavy cream.
We love it spicy, so I used both hot sausage and additional red pepper flakes, but you can adjust that to your liking.
Zuppa Toscana (Spicy Sausage and Kale Soup)
- 1 lb. hot italian sausage
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. red potatoes sliced thin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups kale chopped
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes optional
- In a large soup pot, brown Italian sausage and break it up with a wooden spoon. After sausage is brown (about 8 minutes), add in garlic and onions. Stir and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add sliced potatoes, chicken stock, water, and salt. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir and add in kale and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add in milk, and red pepper flakes. Stir and serve.