Arugula is one of my favorite lettuce (lettuces?) to use because it truly has a unique flavor that brings a lot to a dish. It has a peppery bite, but it is not bitter. When you use the baby variety, it doesn’t even have to be chopped.
I love adding it to pastas and sandwiches, but this salad is a great way to showcase the lettuce and let it really stand out for what it is! Lemon pairs perfectly for that acidic bite. Parmesan is great for adding texture and nuttiness. And I love to load on the fresh cracked black pepper to intensify the already peppery leaf.
Arugula is very delicate and can wilt pretty fast. Make sure that you dress this salad immediately before serving it, otherwise it becomes a soggy mess– not very appetizing.
If you want, this recipe can easily be doubled. The dressing works as a great vinaigrette for lots of salads or chopped veggies!
Simple Arugula Salad
- 1/2 lemon zested and juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. shaved Parmesan cheese
- 5 oz. baby arugula
- Combine lemon zest, juice, and olive oil in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Place arugula in a serving bowl and toss with dressing.
- Top with salt, pepper, and shaved Parmesan. Serve immediately.