I love soup because it is a great way to make a large amount of food at once without breaking the bank. It often makes great leftovers too. Italian vegetable soup is also a great way to use up all those odds and ends you have in your fridge.
This soup is about as simple as they come. There is no wrong way to prepare it! I have included some guidelines for the amount of vegetables to use, as well as the ones I chose, but truly this would be great with any of your favorites. I used a Vegetable Medley, which includes cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots. I also added onion, garlic, celery, and kidney beans. They tasted delicious all simmered together in their rich, tomatoey broth.
Some other veggies and add-ons to consider:
- Yellow Squash
- Cannellini Beans
- Bell Peppers
- Ground Beef or Turkey
Traditionally, minestrone does not have any meat, but I know some people have family members who refuse to eat a meal without meat. In those cases, ground beef or turkey goes well with this soup. The flavor of the vegetables and the tomato sauce works well in combination with the ground meat. Here are more traditional italian foods to try.
You can also choose to make this soup vegan! Simply make it as I have written, and sub out the chicken stock for vegetable stock. Because it has beans, it already has a great protein content, and can serve as a very filling lunch or dinner.
However you choose to make this, it really shines with a hunk of warm crusty bread on the side! I also like to top it with fresh parmesan cheese and spicy red pepper flakes.
How to make Italian Vegetable soup:
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
Add diced onions and minced garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. (If you are adding meat, do so now. You can add it raw and then brown it in the pan, breaking it up as you go. This will add another 5-10 minutes on to your cook time).
Chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces and add into the pot. Saute for another 5 minutes.
Add rinsed kidney beans, dry pasta, tomato sauce, salt, italian seasoning, and chicken stock, and stir. Simmer for 15-20 until pasta is cooked through.
Italian Vegetable Soup
- One small onion diced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3-4 cups of chopped vegetables I used Josie's Organic Vegetable Medley, which has carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower
- 1 15 oz can of kidney beans
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup small dry pasta
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add diced onions and minced garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Chop vegetables into bite-sized pieces and add into the pot. Saute for another 5 minutes.
- Add rinsed kidney beans, dry pasta, tomato sauce, salt, italian seasoning, and chicken stock, and stir. Simmer for 15-20 until pasta is cooked through.