Butterflied chicken breasts, stuffed with cream cheese, diced jalapenos, and coated in a crispy breadcrumb crust. Crispy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Breasts are weeknight dinner that may seem fancy, but it's easy to prepare and a crowd-pleaser.
Houlihan's is known for some great meals, and these Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken Breasts were one of my favorites that they did. Houlihan's only served these Jalapeno Popper Chicken Breasts on Thursdays, and ever since we first had it, my sister has been asking me to recreate the recipe!
Here is what I have come up with. I do think it is VERY similar. Houlihan's version does not have diced jalapeno in the filling, but I think it only adds to the the flavor and texture. If you need to dial down the heat, you can remove the seeds and white membrane before you dice it. You can learn all about jalapenos here.
Jalapeno Poppers are a delicious appetizer. In fact I love them so much, I made them into a jalapeno popper stuffed wonton.
Using the flavors in a stuffed chicken breast it a perfect way to enjoy them in a new way. Though this recipe isn't keto or low carb, it isn't high carb. You have the breadcrumbs and that's it! We love serving this with a simple vegetable like steamed broccoli. Just like Sheet Pan Honey Mustard Chicken and Potatoes, this is a meal everyone can enjoy.
Ingredients in stuffed jalapeno popper chicken
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh jalapeno
- garlic powder
- softened cream cheese
- shredded colby jack cheese or sharp cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- jalapeno jelly
How to make Crispy Jalapeno Popper Chicken Breasts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, add diced jalapeno, cream cheese, shredded cheese, garlic powder and salt. Stir to combine.
Slice chicken breasts lengthwise creating a pocket for filling. Stuff each chicken breast with half of the cream cheese jalapeno mixture. Do not overstuff or the filling will spill out. (If you want, you can use a few toothpicks to close the opening more securely. Just remember to remove before serving!)
Bread the stuffed chicken by placing it in the flour and coating the entire surface. Then place into egg wash, and finally, coat with bread crumbs.
Heat olive oil in an oven safe pan and fry the chicken breast, browning both sides (approx. 5 minutes).
Finish in oven preheated oven, about 25 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
Top with jalapeno jelly to serve.
Jalapeno Pepper Jelly Substitute
If you are unable to find jalapeno jelly, Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing sauce works great as a substitute and can be found at most grocery stores.
Double the recipe for jalapeno cream cheese stuffed chicken
This recipe as it stands will make two stuffed chicken breasts. If desired, the filling amount could easily be doubled, and you could stuff 4 chicken breasts instead of two.
Because these jalapeno popper chicken breasts are crispy fried, they are best served fresh. You can certainly store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, they just won't be as crispy when reheated.
If you would like to prep part of the recipe ahead of time, try making the cream cheese mixture the morning of or the day before preparing this dish.
More delicious chicken dishes:
- panda express kung pao chicken (restaurant copycat)
- healthy teriyaki chicken thighs
- cream cheese chicken pillows
- french onion soup chicken bake
- broccoli stuffed chicken with pesto
- easy taco chicken casserole
Houlihan's Copycat Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jalapeno diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- ½ cup colby jack cheese shredded
- ½ cup flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. jalapeno jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, add diced jalapeno, cream cheese, shredded cheese, garlic powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Slice chicken breasts length-wise creating a pocket for filling. Stuff each breast with half of the cream cheese mixture. Do not overstuff or the filling will spill out. (If you want, you can use a few toothpicks to close the opening more securely. Just remember to remove before serving!)
- Bread the stuffed chicken by placing it in the flour and coating the entire surface. Then place into egg wash, and finally coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe pan and fry the chicken breast, browning both sides (approx. 5 minutes). Finish in oven preheated oven, about 25 minutes or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Top with jalapeno jelly to serve.