I’m really late to the zoodles train. I like my carbs to be themselves. No cauliflower faking it’s way to rice. And I want my pasta made from flour, eggs, and water. Thankyouverymuch.
That being said, I love zucchini. It’s easy to grow, and inexpensive to buy in the summertime. It’s delicious in stir fry or simply sauteed with salt, pepper, and olive oil. I love its versatility as much as I love its taste.
This dish isn’t an attempt to cut out pasta (I would never). It’s just a way to get more zucchini into your life! And honestly, cutting up zucchini like noodles is just plain fun.
There are lots of zoodle makers out there, and they all can do the job. Spiralizers are fun for their curly-cue shape. The gadget I have had the best luck with is the one Pampered Chef. It is sleek, easy to use, and easy to clean. That factor is important! This tool lays flat in a cabinet, taking up minimal space. The first time I used it, I was surprised at how effective it was. There are no actual blades, but works similar to a mandolin. If you are in the market for a veggie strip maker, I highly suggest this one. You can find it here.
Something to keep in mind when making this dish is that everything cooks up quickly, so you will want to work fast. Nothing is worse than rubbery shrimp and mushy zucchini.
No worries though-- just have your ingredients prepped and ready to go before you turn on the heat and you won’t have any problems.
Creamy Shrimp with Zoodles
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb. shrimp tails-on
- 2 large zucchini spiralized
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil roughly chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add garlic and shrimp, cooking quickly until the garlic becomes fragrant and the shrimp starts to turn pink.
- Add in spiralized zucchini and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add spinach and basil and allow to wilt for a minute.
- Pour in heavy cream and stir to combine. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, salt, and parmesan cheese.