A bed of tender lettuce, crispy coated tempura shrimp, and cooling toppings like cucumber and avocado, you're going to love this Bang Bang Shrimp Salad with Sriracha Mayo. It is easy enough for lunch or an appetizer, but can be made larger for a dinner!
For those who don't know, Bang Bang Shrimp are a dish that's been made famous by the restaurant, Bonefish. Bang Bang Shrimp are crispy tempura fried shrimp that have been coated in a sweet and spicy sauce. These shrimp were originally served as an appetizer, but it became so popular that this signature menu item has been incorporated into tacos, salads, and main dishes.
What is Bang Bang Sauce?
Bang Bang sauce generally consists of mayo, sweet chili sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and sriracha. Some versions also have honey and lime juice. This sauce is whisked together and used to coat crispy coated shrimp.
I did an abbreviated version of that for this recipe, but feel free to add in any of the extra sauce ingredients when making the dressing for this shrimp salad. Sambal Oelek can also be used in place of the sriracha.
What lettuce is best for shrimp salad?
I like a nice tender lettuce to pair with the crispy Bang Bang Shrimp. It keeps this dish on the lighter side and balances out the coated shrimp and mayo sauce. Butter lettuce, baby lettuces, red leaf lettuce, and summer crisp would all be good options.
If you are lucky enough to have access to homegrown greens or baby lettuces from a farmer's market, that would pair very well!
Another way to serve this shrimp salad with be on top of cabbage slaw. Napa cabbage, red cabbage, or white cabbage sliced thin would work. I love shrimp with cabbage, like in this Baja Shrimp Tacos.
For more shrimp recipes, try one of the following.
Ingredients for Bang Bang Shrimp Salad
- baby lettuce
- mini frozen tempura shrimp
- sweet chili sauce
- green onions
- black sesame seeds
How to Make
Cook tempura shrimp according to the packaging directions.
Remove from oven, and toss with the sweet chili sauce. Set to the side.
On plate, place down bed of lettuce. Top with coated shrimp, sliced cucumber, avocado, green onions, and sesame seeds,
In a small bowl combine mayo and sriracha. Drizzle over top of salad, add a squeeze of fresh lime, and enjoy!
I find the best way to cook the tempura shrimp is in the air fryer! They take less time than in the oven and come out crispier. Plus-- you don't have to heat the whole kitchen to make a quick salad.
There is no need for spraying with additional oil as they come coated when you buy tempura breaded shrimp frozen.
Variations and Substitutions
- You can buy sriracha mayo and other similar products at the store. Lots of brands have them including Heinz, Lee Kum Kee, Sir Kensington's, and Kikkoman.
- If you can't find Sweet Chili Sauce, Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing Sauce will give you a similar flavor. Though it is not the same, it is a similar texture and is always sweet and spicy! I love it on this Jalapeno Popper Chicken as well as a substitute for jalapeno jelly.
This salad is best made fresh to keep the shrimp crispy and the avocado from browning!
Any leftover sriracha mayo can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
A sweet and spicy Bang Bang Shrimp Salad with Sriracha Mayo is a summer salad with some kick to it!
- 4 cups baby Lettuces
- 8 oz frozen Mini Tempura Shrimp (May say Boom Boom Shrimp)
- 2 tbsp. sweet Chili Sauce
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. sriracha
- 4 green onions, diced
- ½ avocado, diced
- ¼ english cucumber, diced
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- Cook tempura shrimp according to the packaging directions.
- Remove from oven, and toss with the sweet chili sauce. Set to the side.
- On plate, place down bed of lettuce. Top with coated shrimp, sliced cucumber, avocado, green onions, and sesame seeds,
- In a small bowl combine mayo and sriracha. Drizzle over top of salad, add a squeeze of fresh lime and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 568Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 33gCholesterol: 139mgSodium: 1162mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 7gSugar: 13gProtein: 18g