Making sweet potatoes in the air fryer is a super easy way to prepare them with very little mess and have them come out perfectly cooked every time! Ninja Foodi Sweet Potatoes take just 3 simple ingredients for a perfectly cooked whole sweet potato. Cook times included for small, medium, and large sweet potatoes.
I am officially hooked on my ninja foodi deluxe. As if you couldn't already tell. It makes things so easy and it truly saves me on time and mess. I am constantly looking for more things to make in it (spoiler alert, it seems to be everything lol). Any brand of air fryer will work for this recipe, you may be able to fit more or less potatoes in at one time depending on the size of your basket.
So for my latest air fryer escapade, I decided to go ahead with air fryer baked sweet potatoes! I kept them whole and they turned out perfectly, fluffy and tender on the inside, with a crispy skin. Sweet potatoes in the air fryer are a major HIT.
Check out the following for more air fryer recipes
- medium sweet potatoes
- sea salt
How to make Ninja Foodi Sweet Potatoes Air Fryer
Using a fork, poke some holes into each sweet potato, I do about 5-6 pokes.
Coat whole sweet potatoes with olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt.
Place into the air fryer basket and close air fryer.
Set temperature to 390 degrees and 45 minutes of cook time for medium sized sweet potatoes.
Carefully check doneness at 45 minutes (you should be able to easily pierce the potato with a fork). If not done, add 5 minutes of cook time until the sweet potato is finished cooking.
Cook Time for Baked Whole Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
The cook times for whole sweet potatoes will vary a bit depending on the size of the sweet potato and how soft you want it. Here is a guideline.
I would begin checking at the lower time for whatever size you are making and go from there. You can check a sweet potatoes doneness either by piercing with a fork or by giving it a quick squeeze (be careful-- they will be hot!).
- Small Sweet Potatoes: 35-45 minutes
- Medium Sweet Potatoes: 45-50 minutes
- Large Sweet Potatoes: 50-55 minutes
How to serve whole baked sweet potatoes
Whole sweet potatoes are great on their own or they can be jazzed up with toppings. Making them in the air fryer also makes them super easy to peel and use for mashed sweet potatoes. All without turning on your oven!
- With brown sugar and butter. Can't beat this classic combo! Try it with a sprinkle of cinnamon powder.
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. This is one of our favorite dinners. Easy, customizable, and totally delicious.
- With a sprinkle of herbs de provence and butter. Herbs de provence is a KILLER seasoning on sweet potatoes-- one of my favorite ways to prepare them. Try it out, and you'll see the simple deliciousness this french spice blend offers to sweet potatoes.
- Remove the skins and mash. The skins literally peel right off which makes it super easy to go from whole sweet potatoes to mashed sweet potatoes in a manner of minutes.
Store any leftover sweet potatoes in the fridge in an airtight container or wrapped in foil for up to 3 days.
You can reheat (with foil removed) in the microwave for about 1 minute or back in the air fryer for about 4-5 minutes.
Ninja Foodi Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Using a fork, poke some holes into each sweet potato, I do about 5-6 pokes.
- Coat whole sweet potatoes with olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place into the air fryer basket and close air fryer.
- Set temperature to 390 degrees and 45 minutes of cook time for medium sized sweet potatoes.
- Carefully check doneness at 45 minutes (you should be able to easily pierce the potato with a fork). If not done, add 5 minutes of cook time until the sweet potato is finished cooking.