French Onion Soup is a wonderfully savory soup that takes simple ingredients and transforms them into a rich, umami masterpiece. By cooking down the onions they become caramelized and turn much sweeter.
Normally, French Onion Soup requires a lot of time for simmering. By using the Instant Pot, a deep broth can be achieved in an hour. Using the Saute function on the IP means that all the cooking happens in one pot.
Cheesy, crusty bread is a necessity on top to contrast the texture of the broth. Gruyere is most popular, but swiss would work well too!
Instant Pot French Onion Soup
- 5-6 cups onions sliced
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 32 oz. beef broth
- ½ cup gruyere cheese
- French bread
- Begin by thinly slicing onions. Place onions and butter into Instant Pot and turn on to Saute function.
- Saute for about 20 minutes, stirring often. Add in sugar and saute for another 5, continuing to stir.
- When onions have turned brown, add broth and scrap up the fond from the bottom using a wooden spoon (This part is important, it really gives a depth of flavor).
- Add in thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and change setting to Pressure Cook and cook at High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow to natural release.
- While the soup is cooking in Instant Pot, slice french bread about ½ inch thick. Turn on broiler and top bread with cheese. Toast bread until cheese is golden brown. Watch carefully!
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese toast.