During this quarantine season, I think it's safe to say the most dangerous part of being at home is going back to whatever is in the fridge multiple times a day. The thing that I've realized is that since this is inevitable, I'd rather just stock the fridge with something packed with veggies, that way I'm at least benefitting! Enter my cold thai noodle salad.
This salad idea all started several years ago, before I was married. Michael had just moved into our house, and was living by himself for several weeks until we were married. During that time, I made him a couple of dishes to tide him over (and make sure he was eating at least some vegetables), including an asian noodle salad. Fast forward 4 years, and he is STILL talking about how good that was. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the original recipe that I used, but my husband loved this just as much!
What makes this cold thai noodle salad so great is its simplicity. Besides for the noodles, nothing actually needs to be cooked for the dish! Once you chop up all your veggies, you are good to go tossing everything into a big bowl and serving.
One very crucial step in preparing this is making sure not to overcook your rice noodles. These are notoriously fast cookers, and it can quickly turn mushy and gummy if not attended to. For best results, I run the noodles under cold water as soon as they are ready to stop the cooking process.
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 8 oz. thin rice noodles or spaghetti
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage (about ⅓ head)
- ½ cucumber, julienned
- ½ cup edamame
- 2 tbs. peanut butter
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tbs. honey
- 2 tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs. chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbs. sesame oil
- Cook rice noodles according to the packaging. SOMETHING TO NOTE: rice noodles tend to cook very quickly, and can quickly turn gummy. Make sure that as soon as they are done cooking to rinse them with cold water so that they stop cooking.
- In a bowl, mix chopped vegetables and rice noodles.
- In a smaller bowl, pour in ingredients for dressing, and whisk together.
- Add sauce to other ingredients, and toss until noodles are coated and ingredients are combined.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 596mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 9g