There's almost no side dish more synonymous with an American weekend barbeque than the classic potato salad. It's the perfect side, no matter what your main course is. And with Memorial Day coming up, your weekend get togethers could be following shortly!
There are lots of ways to make a potato salad. While dill, loaded, and plenty of other potato salads all have their place, a classic potato salad is one that can be used with hot dogs, burgers, or barbeque! On the plus side, there's enough peas hidden in this dish that you can (almost) justify getting seconds (or thirds)!
While all ingredients are necessary here, the major hero of the dish is the stone-ground mustard, which adds the perfect tang to the dish so that it isn't just a heavy, creamy dish.
Overall, I can't say enough how much I was surprised by this dish when I made it. Michael and I both kept going back for little tastes here and there. All of the flavors fit so perfectly! And the best part is, like any good salad dish, it tastes even better the next day after the flavors all have a chance to meld together!
- 2 lbs. baby potatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 5 eggs, hard-boiled
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. stone ground mustard
- Begin by covering your potatoes in a pot with water. The water should be about an inch above the top of the potatoes.
- Place on stove and bring to a boil and cook potatoes until fork tender. The potatoes should be cooked through but still firm. The timing will depend on the size of your potatoes, but it should take about 15-20 minutes. (I like to take this time that the potatoes are cooking to hard boil my eggs. I have a whole post about it here!)
- Drain potatoes and let cool.
- Cut up potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl. Add peeled and sliced eggs, diced celery, onions, peas, mayonnaise, mustard.
- Stir until well coated.
- Taste and add salt to your preference.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 455mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g