This low carb dish is great for lunch, dinner, and even a snack. I have to be honest, as I was cooking, I was eating the filling right out of the pan!
Make sure that you brown the chicken during the first steps of cooking. This really adds richness to the overall flavor! There's no shortcut here. No worries though, there are a lot of veggies to chop while it browns.
My suggestion would be to heat your pan up and get the meat browning on medium-high heat. Begin chopping right away, breaking up the chicken every few minutes!
These wraps are a hit at parties (and extremely easy to pack up and bring!)
Spicy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or peanut oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 oz. cremini or button mushrooms diced
- 1 8 oz. can of water chestnuts diced
- 1 small bell pepper diced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger minced or grated
- 4 green onions sliced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons. sambal oelek based on preference
- 1 ½ tablespoons. honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high heat. Add in ground chicken and begin to break up as it cooks.
- While chicken is cooking, chop vegetables. After chicken is browned (about 10 minutes), add in garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add in mushrooms, water chestnuts, bell pepper, ginger, and green onions. Stir to combine. Saute for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together ingredients for the sauce. Adjust the amount of Sambal Oelek you add, depending on how spicy you want the dish to be!
- Add the combined sauce to the chicken mixture and finish by simmering for 5 minutes. Serve on butter lettuce or romaine.