Poblanos are great for more than just chile relleno! This Instant Pot Chicken and Poblano soup takes poblano and jalapeno peppers and combines them with pantry staples to create this soup that just the right blend of spicy and creamy. The perfect finishing touch? Josie's Organics cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Truth be told-- I have made this recipe for my family about 4 or 5 times before I finally got around to getting it here on the blog. We LOVE it in our house, and it is so easy to throw together in a pinch. Jalapenos and poblanos are both regular items on our grocery list, so when I am wondering what to make for dinner, I know that I almost always have the ingredients on hand to make this delicious soup.
Can it be made on the stove top?
Of course! Combine all the ingredients in the same way and simmer for 45 minutes, or until veggies are firm but softened and the chicken is cooked through. Shred the chicken and replace it back to the pot. Add the cilantro, Greek yogurt, and cheese and stir to combine.
Can it be made in a Crock Pot?
Sure can. I would venture 4 hours on high or 6 on low would work well. Again, add everything but the cilantro, yogurt, and cheese and wait until the end to stir those in.
Can this be made with frozen chicken?
Yes it can! That's one of the things I love about this recipe and using my Instant Pot in general. Even if you forget to take anything out for dinner, you can use frozen chicken and still have a delicious meal on the table in less than an hour! Just bump up the cook time from 10 minutes to 13 minutes.
I’m very glad to be bringing you this post featuring Josie’s Organics Products. I was compensated for my time, but all opinions are 100% my own.
This can also be found at Meal Plan Monday.
This Instant Pot Chicken and Poblano soup combines fresh ingredients like poblanos, jalapenos, and cilantro with staples like beans for the perfect bite!
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 large poblanos, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cans Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- To the Instant Pot add chicken, poblanos, jalapeno, onion, beans, corn, chicken stock and salt.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes. The pot will take some time to come up to pressure and to Natural Release.
- Once the soup has finished cooking, remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork. Place shredded chicken back in, along with Greek yogurt, cheese, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Serve with extra cilantro and fresh lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g