This homemade ranch dressing recipe is packed full of fresh herbs like dill and chives, and lightened up with greek yogurt for the perfect consistency. This creamy ranch dressing is so easy to make and free of preservatives or added sugar.
A good ranch salad dressing is a key condiment to know how to make. Sure you can buy it from the store, but those offerings are so often filled with additives, sugar, or just plain don't taste very good.
I can be picky about my ranch. Because of this I worked hard to make one that checks all of the boxes. It's fresh and filled with herbs. There's no added sugar. It is thin enough to easily coat a salad, but thick enough for dipping. The majority of the base is Greek yogurt, so you don't have to worry about being very generous with it-- trust me, you're going to want to slather this one everything- veggies, wraps, salads. Heck-- I wouldn't judge you if you ate it with a spoon.
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Ingredients
- Greek yogurt
- fresh dill
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- onion powder
- fresh chives
- lemon juice
- fresh parsley
How to make homemade ranch with fresh herbs
Prepare fresh herbs (parsley, dill, and chives) by chopping them very finely.
Add all of the ingredients together and whisk to combine.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Let the ranch sit for at least 30 minutes in the fridge before serving. The flavors need time to combine and mellow out.
- Make homemade buttermilk by adding 1 tbsp. of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes. It will look slightly curdled.
- Chop herbs finely to avoid any chunks in your dressing.
Variations and Substitutions
- Use sour cream in place of greek yogurt if you would prefer.
- Dried herbs, such as dried dill, dried parsley, and dried chives, can be used in place of fresh. You will need to use less, 1 tsp. dry = 1 tbsp. fresh.
How Long Does Homemade Ranch Last in the Fridge?
Homemade ranch lasts 1-2 weeks in the fridge. Keep it in an airtight container when not using. The reason homemade ranch doesn't last as long as store bought is the lack of preservatives and stabilizers.
More homemade salad dressings
Yes you can, but the flavor will be a little different. Buttermilk ranch has a bit more tang to it. To make homemade buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or fresh lemon juice to 1 cup of milk and let sit for 5-10 minutes. It will look slightly curdled.
Homemade ranch lasts 1-2 weeks in the fridge.
You can, but you will want to use less dry herbs than fresh. Dry herbs have a more concentrated flavor than fresh herbs and can be overpowering if you add too much. As a general rule, use 1 tablespoon of fresh herbs to 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- ¼ cup mayo
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1-2 tsp. lemon juice depending on taste
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tbsp. fresh dill minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh chives minced
- ½ tbsp. fresh parsley minced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. cracked black pepper
- Prepare fresh herbs (parsley, dill, and chives) by chopping them very finely.
- Add all of the ingredients together and whisk to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.