Classic banana bread is a staple recipe that everyone should have in their back pocket. Not only is it delicious and good for breakfast or a snack, but it is also a great way to use up those bananas sitting on your counter that are a little past their prime!
You will see down below that there is a little leeway for how much sugar to add to this recipe. I suggest anywhere from ½ cup to a full cup. I like my bread a little less sweet so I only add ½-⅔ a cup when making this (I like to let the bananas speak for themselves). If you want to have your result be more cake-like and sweet, go ahead and add the full cup of sugar!
This classic banana bread turns out moist and flavorful without being too dense. It can be left on the counter in a sealed container for a few days, and it won’t dry out!
You can enjoy this banana bread plain, or with your favorite mix-ins. Some good options are chopped walnuts or chocolate chips. A half a cup of either would do!
How to Make Classic Banana Bread:
To make this bread, start by creaming together your butter and sugar. To that add eggs and vanilla, along with your mashed bananas. You can mash your bananas with a potato masher or a fork, whatever is easier to you.
Next, add in your dry ingredients and stir to combine. All of this can either be done with a mixer or by hand. The prep for this bread does not take long-- you can have this bread mixed up and in the oven within ten minutes
To bake, preheat the oven to 350. Pour your batter into a buttered loaf pan and bake for 50-65 minutes. I suggest you start checking its doneness at 50 minutes, and see where you’re at!
Enjoy warm, I suggest with a little butter smeared across the top!
more baked goods to try
Classic Banana Bread
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup sugar you can use 1//2-1 cup depending on the level of sweetness you want
- 2 cups flour
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 ripe bananas very ripe
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray pan with nonstick spray or use leftover butter from the paper wrapper.
- In a large mixing bowl add melted butter and sugar. Cream together until well combined.
- Add eggs and whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, peel and mash bananas using a fork or potato masher. The more you mash them, the smoother your bread will be.
- Add bananas to wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold ingredients together. Do not over mix.
- If adding nuts or chocolate, add them now.
- Pour batter into pan and bake until bread is brown, and toothpick comes out clean. Start checking at 50 minutes, but it may take up to 65 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing loaf from pan and slicing.