Spicy shredded chicken and cheese stuffed into a tender baked bell pepper and topped with more cheese. Sounds good right? Well that's what you get with these delicious Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers.
A buffalo sauce is made with Frank's Red Hot Sauce and butter. Shredded chicken is combined with cheese and greek yogurt for creaminess. There's even celery and carrot for the full chicken wing basket effect. Top buffalo chicken stuffed peppers with ranch dressing or bleu cheese dressing for a delicious low carb dinner.
I have officially decided. Everything is going in a stuffed pepper from now on. I'm only partially kidding. I love how everything in the filling works together to flavor each other and the pepper itself. And when serving, it's like everyone gets their own little personal casserole housed in a savory pepper. Plus the possibilities of flavor combinations for stuffed peppers seem potentially endless.
These buffalo chicken stuffed peppers are a new one in our house, but Michael has already requested that I make them again-- and soon! That's not problem for me because they are easy to make and pretty healthy too!
These are buffalo stuffed peppers without tomato sauce. So many stuffed pepper recipes call for tomato sauce, and I wanted to have an option for people who either don't like the flavor or can't have tomatoes for health reasons.
Ingredients in Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken: Shredded rotisserie chicken makes this recipe a breeze, but you can also cook up some chicken specifically for this recipe. If you have one, try shredded chicken in the Instant Pot- super easy!
- Buffalo sauce: Buffalo sauce is made with a classic hot sauce, Frank's Red hot, along with butter and garlic powder. I added a little butter here (2 tbsp.) to make this sauce authentic but not too heavy! You may also like it in these Air Fryer Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
- Greek yogurt: I wanted something that would hold the cooked shredded chicken together, but not be too heavy. Some recipes I have seen call for cream cheese, but I went ahead and made with buffalo chicken stuffed peppers with greek yogurt to keep them lighter. You could substitute in sour cream if you would like.
- Bell peppers: Any color works, but green bell peppers offset the color of the buffalo filling nicely.
How to make Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Peppers
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Slice bell peppers in half and remove the stems and the seeds. Place bell pepper halves in a baking dish cut side up.
Combine hot sauce, sour cream, melted butter, garlic powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir.
To the prepared sauce, add in chicken, diced celery and carrot, green onions, and half of the shredded cheese.
Spoon a portion buffalo chicken filling into each pepper half. Top with the remaining cheese.
Bake in the oven for 15 minutes covered with aluminium foil. Remove the foil and finish the chicken stuffed bell peppers cooking uncovered for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Covering stuffed peppers for the first half of the cook time helps ensure the peppers are fully cooked through and not crunchy.
Variations and Substitutions
- Add rice. These shredded chicken stuffed peppers don't have rice. I wanted to keep these as simple as possible and by skipping rice, these peppers remain both low carb and keto.If you want these buffalo chicken stuffed peppers to go farther with less chicken, and you like rice, feel free to add in 1-2 cups of already cooked rice to the buffalo chicken mixture before you add it to the peppers.
- Instead of greek yogurt, use cream cheese or sour cream to make the filling creamy.
- Poblano peppers can be used in place of bell peppers, but they have a bit more heat.
Yes! Freezing stuffed peppers is a great idea because there is not much more prep work involved to simply double the recipe.
This is not a necessity, but I recommend it to help cook the buffalo chicken bell peppers without overbrowning the cheese topping. If you don't want to cover the stuffed chicken peppers, you could instead precook the bell peppers without any filling in them for ten minutes to start.
Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- 3 bell peppers any color!
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 2 green onions sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Salt
- blue cheese dressing optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice bell peppers in half and remove the stems and the seeds. Place bell pepper halves in a baking dish cut side up.
- Combine hot sauce, sour cream, melted butter, garlic powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- To the prepared sauce, add in chicken, diced celery and carrot, green onions, and half of the shredded cheese.
- Spoon a portion buffalo chicken filling into each pepper half. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes covered with aluminium foil. Remove the foil and finish the chicken stuffed bell peppers cooking uncovered for 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown.