This Pesto Chicken Wrap with Spinach is equal parts healthy, delicious, and simple to make. Full of flavor from ingredients like basil pesto and red onion, protein from cheese and shredded chicken, and freshness from baby spinach leaves, this easy chicken pesto wrap recipe creates a great chicken salad without mayo and with loads of flavor.
I love making chicken salad. It is an easy way to use up leftover chicken from previous meals and it is full of protein too. This lemon tarragon chicken salad is one of my favorites ever (I have made it for countless wedding showers, including my own). And this Guacamole Chicken Salad is another delicious mayo-free chicken salad, like this recipe for pesto chicken salad!
What I love about these Pesto Chicken Wraps
- They are an easy meal in one (wraps are great to stuff with veggies and protein, plus the wrap is a carb for quick energy) This pesto chicken salad wrap also has cheese, for even more protein! Check out this Tuna Power Wrap and Southwest Chicken Wrap for more delicious lunch wraps.
- They can be prepped ahead for a tasty lunch (I love wrapping them in foil to send with my husband so he has a tasty lunch at work.
- Pesto makes everything super flavorful. This bears no explanation, but pesto is a great sauce to add a LOT of flavor. Made from basil, olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese, pesto is a delicious sauce to use for salads, pastas, and marinades.
Ingredients for Pesto Chicken Salad
- grilled chicken (you can also use shredded rotisserie chicken)
- flour tortillas
- store bought pesto
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- mozzarella cheese
How to make a Pesto Chicken Wrap with Spinach
In a medium sized mixing bowl combine pesto, cooked chicken, diced red onion, halved tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir to coat.
Place a handful of spinach on a flour tortilla and top with chicken salad. Wrap up tortilla and enjoy.
Here are some ways to mix up this healthy chicken pesto wrap recipe.
- Add a bit of mayo or greek yogurt. This pesto chicken salad can easily be made creamy with the addition of a tablespoon or two of mayonnaise, sour cream, or greek yogurt.
- Add bacon. For a bit of salty flavor, try adding in a strip or two of bacon.
- Add lemon juice. To cut the flavors with something acidic and fresh, add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes. Make this a sun-dried tomato pesto chicken wrap by swapping out the cherry tomatoes for sun-dried tomatoes. I would add less than the amount of fresh tomatoes, as the flavor of sun-dried tomatoes is more concentrated.
Other ways to serve chicken salad with pesto
If you don't want to serve this pesto chicken salad in a wrap, there are other great ways to use it.
- on a bed of baby lettuces
- on a croissant or other bread (even warm as a panini!)
- on its own
- mixed with pasta for a pesto chicken pasta (warm or cold)
Pesto Chicken Salad Wraps make a great lunch option that is tasty, flavorful, and healthy too. Plus it can be a nice switch from your regular sandwich. To store, wrap the completed chicken pesto wraps tightly in foil and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also keep the pesto chicken salad separate from the wrap ingredients for 3-4 days to use when you are ready.
This Pesto Chicken Wrap Wrap with spinach is a deliciously healthy lunch with loads of fresh baby spinach, pesto, and shredded chicken.
- 2 cups cooked chicken (shredded or diced)
- 2 flour tortillas
- ¼ cup store bought pesto
- 2 tbsp. red onion, diced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt, to taste
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine pesto, cooked chicken, diced red onion, halved tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir to coat.
- Place a handful of spinach on a flour tortilla and top with chicken salad. Wrap up tortilla and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 697Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 928mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 46g