Butter chicken is a traditional Indian meal-- chicken simmered in a tomato sauce. It has a warm, mild heat. We love to serve it over rice, with peas and lemon wedges.
Cooking this dish is a cinch in the Instant Pot. There is VERY little prep, and the pressure cooker does the rest of the work for you. The resting time of 15 minutes can vary depending on where you live. This is just the approximate time for the Instant Pot to natural release, and come down to normal pressure.
If you don't have an Instant Pot, this recipe can easily be adjusted for a slow cooker. Simply saute the butter, garlic, onion, ginger, and spices on the stove. Add this mixture to your crockpot, along with the chicken and tomato sauce. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in coconut milk and serve.
Instant Pot Indian Butter Chicken
- 1 lb chicken breast cubed
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp. curry paste
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 oz.
- ½ cup coconut milk or half and half
- Turn on your Instant Pot to saute setting-- add butter, onions, garlic, fresh ginger, curry paste, garam masala, cumin, and salt. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the spices don't burn.
- Once the onions are soft and translucent, turn off your Instant Pot.
- Add the cubed chicken and can of tomato sauce.
- Cook on High Pressure setting, for 8 minutes. Allow to vent using natural release.
- Add 1 cup of coconut milk (or half and half). Stir to combine. Serve over rice.