Fall is coming which means soup season is upon us! This may be my favorite time of year for cooking, partially because I rarely meet a soup I don't like. I love the creativity you can have when making soups. There are endless combinations to be made, and lots of vegetables and spices to add flavor and nutrition.
Hearts of palm are a veggie that often get used in salads but I think they lend themselves great to soups as well! They provide a nutty, rich, almost creamy flavor to any dish. They are also rich in fiber and protein, with about 3.5 g of each per one cup serving. Try them as a crab substitute in this vegetarian crab cake recipe!
There is a famous Brazilian soup called Sopa de Palmito, or Hearts of Palm Soup. It's made with extremely simple ingredients, namely, hearts of palm, cream, and broth. This is a version of that dish with a twist. It's basically a combination of Sopa de Palmito and Broccoli Cheddar soup! Broccoli is another vegetable that is high in fiber and protein so this dish is hearty and filling for sure! Check out more Brazilian recipes.
This soup doesn't take long to prepare at all, and can easily be made for a weeknight dinner. Serve it on its own or with a piece of crusty bread.
Hearts of Palm and Broccoli Soup
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 14 oz. can of Reese Hearts of Palm sliced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat tablespoon of butter until it melts.
- Add in hearts of palm, broccoli florets, diced onion, and minced garlic. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add chicken broth and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the vegetables become tender.
- Use an immersion blender and blend until desired texture is reached.
- Add heavy cream, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and serve warm.
This soup looks awesome!!!
Perfect for a fall day!