These sandwiches are a cross between a French Dip sandwich and a Chicago-style Italian Beef sandwich. A chuck roast is cooked slowly in a crock pot creating a savory au jus while it cooks!
PREP TIME: 15 MIN
– 1 2-3 lb. chuck roast – 1 bay leaf – 3 cups beef broth – 1 large onion, sliced – 1 tsp. garlic powder – 1 tbs. olive oil – sea salt and pepper – 2 large green bell peppers, cut in 1-inch slices
COOK TIME: 6 hours
1. Brown chuck roast well, on top and bottom (about five minutes on each side of a skillet on medium-high heat)
2. Remove from skillet and place browned roast into slow cooker. Add beef broth, bay leaf, sliced onion, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
3. During the last hour or two of cooking, add your thick cut bell peppers to the slow cooker. After another 1-2 hours, your roast should be fork tender. Remove the meat from cooker and shred it with two forks. Place meat back into the juice.
4. To serve: Place a portion of meat on sandwich roll. Add sweet peppers, hot peppers, and cheese. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes and serve with a side of the juice from the slow cooker.