I don’t go to Ikea too often, but when I do, I always get Swedish Meatballs for lunch. Anybody else can’t pass up Ikea’s food? They even have soft serve for a dollar. How can you beat that?!
A snack is needed after browsing the levels for hours, anyways.
My sister and I love going to Ikea and finding things to help complete her various organizational projects. After this most recent time, we decided I had to come up with a homemade recipe for Swedish Meatballs. They are just so good!
Here is my rendition. It took a few times to get the recipe right, but I’m very happy with the final result.
You can serve these with mashed potatoes or butter noodles. I love butter noodles, both for the ease and the taste.
For a trick on baking meatballs, try meatballs baked in Egg Carton!
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of butter and add in diced onions.While the onions are sweating, combine bread crumbs and milk in a large mixing bowl and let the bread crumbs soak up the liquid.
- Once the onions are translucent, add them to the mixing bowl with the bread crumb mixture along with the pork, beef, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Mix together until well combined.
- Form the meatballs into 1 ½ inch size.
- Add the second tablespoon of butter to the skillet and begin frying the meatballs in stages, flipping so that all the sides are browned. As the meatballs finish cooking, place them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Once all the meatballs are done, in the same skillet, add in 3 tablespoons of butter and melt. Whisk in the flour, and allow to cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the beef broth, and continue to whisk until gently thickened.
- Add sour cream and worcestershire and whisk to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add meatballs back into the sauce and garnish with parsley, if desired.